I stumbled across a GMAT discussion board the other day, and there's one comment that sticks in my mind made by one of its apparent regulars to which I'd like to respond without trolling the individual's own safe space. I'm going to change the numerical details because I'm sure this precious young man's sentiment is quite widely shared, and I don't want to single him out specifically.
If the only source of personal pride you can point to in your life is your 90th or 95th or 99th percentile standardized test score, you need to do something with yourself.
If you're angry that a poor black girl who got a 650 on the GMAT got admitted to the MBA program you applied to and your tutor-fed 720-scoring ass did not, you are a pathetic piece of shit who needs to go the fuck away and grow the fuck up. Yeah, maybe you're exactly seventy GMAT points "better" than she is. Maybe if she were in your shoes, she'd have gotten an 800 instead of some wank-ass 720.
I'll tell you something ugly that you don't want to think about. Nobody looked at that girl when she was five years old and said "that's a girl who's going places." And you know what, jackmonkey? SHE WENT PLACES ANYWAY. Here's another bitter pill for you. That girl is approximately 100% less likely to rest on her laurels once she goes to business school than you are, and the admissions committee of that name-brand MBA program knew it, and that's why she got in and you didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment